Thoughts on SAMA University
Last week, our President and CEO, Denis Chapman Sr. was at the Gleacher Center at the University of Chicago School of Business facilitating and supporting SAMA University. SAMA is the Strategic Account Management Association, and SAMA University is the platform that the organization uses to educate, train, and certify Strategic Account Managers (SAMs) from all over the world on current and emerging best practices within strategic account management. SAMA University is held throughout the year at various locations including New York, Atlanta and Prague. At this SAMA University in Chicago were well over 100 attendees representing 75 global organizations. In such a tough economy – it was refreshing to see the turnout and investment organizations are making in their strategic account managers and programs.
Upon his return to Maryland Dennis and I had a chance to talk about the high points and the central themes/thoughts from this SAMA University:
- It is apparent that Strategic Account Management means different things to different people – but ALL organizations agree they have strategic customers, key to the organization’s success that, need to be managed differently.
- To execute a SAM programs requires discipline on best practices and process
- There is much to act on when optimizing your SAM program – is wise to break requirements down into bite size chunks
- As a business process strategic account management continues to gain momentum and importance
- SAMA is a great resource for learning and knowledge share – the new “Credentialing Program” which The Chapman Group has a piece of core curriculum in, is receiving great interest
- There is a lot of controversy on how companies and people will be learning in the future; workshops? Conferences? Online?
- The economy remains a challenge for everyone – most companies are being very cautious in their forecasting and cash management
For more information on SAMA and the University, Click Here.